Were you involved in a sideswipe collision? It is crucial that you know how to protect your rights and your interests. Sideswipe accidents can be very serious—especially when they occur on highways. The Insurance Information Institute (III) reports that 950 fatal sideswipe accidents happened nationwide in 2020 alone. Many thousands more people were seriously injured in these crashes. Here, our Atlanta auto accident attorney provides a guide to sideswipe accidents in Georgia.
What is a Sideswipe Accident?
A sideswipe accident is a type of car accident that occurs when the side of one vehicle collides with the side of another vehicle. This type of accident can happen when two cars are driving next to each other and one of the drivers tries to change lanes without checking their blind spot, or when one car is passing another car and doesn’t leave enough space. In either case, the impact of the collision is often on the side of the vehicle, hence the name “sideswipe.”
What to Do After a Sideswipe Accident in Atlanta
After a sideswipe crash in Atlanta, it is crucial that you take immediate action. The aftermath of a collision can be chaotic and even overwhelming. Here are four steps to take following a sideswipe accident:
- Stop Your Vehicle: Georgia law requires you to stop your vehicle as soon as it’s safe to do so. Exchange information with all other drivers involved in the sideswipe accident.
- Call the Police: All injury crashes should be reported to local or state law enforcement. A responding office will write an accident report.
- Get Medical Attention: Any injuries sustained in a sideswipe accident require immediate medical attention. You cannot bring a claim without seeing a doctor.
- Document the Crash: Georgia is an at-fault car crash state. All sideswipe accidents must be comprehensively investigated to determine liability.
- Consult With a Lawyer: Insurance companies are not on your side. Consult with an Atlanta car accident attorney before giving a statement to an insurance company.
Recovering Compensation for an Auto Accident in Georgia
In Georgia, injured auto accident victims have the right to seek compensation for both out-of-pocket and intangible damages. Sadly, an insurance company will invariably try to resolve your claim for less—even if it was not your fault. Our Atlanta car accident attorneys help victims maximize their recovery. In a sideswipe accident, compensation may be available for:
- Vehicle repairs;
- Medical bills;
- Physical therapy;
- Lost wages;
- Loss of earning power;
- Pain and suffering;
- Disability/disfigurement; and
- Wrongful death.
Schedule a Free Consultation With an Atlanta Auto Accident Lawyer Today
At Wetherington Law, our Atlanta car accident lawyers have the expertise that you can count on for results. If you or your loved one was injured in a sideswipe accident, we are here to help. Contact us right away for a free, no-commitment case review. From our Atlanta office, we represent injured victims throughout the region, including in Fulton County, Dekalb County, and Cobb County.